11.09.2008

sunday singing

It's been way too long since I tried to do this every Sunday. It's hard because I really don't get on the computer all that much on Sundays, especially after church. I wanted to do this again because I love it... I love music and the way it can change your mood. I've had a long week of being sick (among other things) and not being in the best of moods. Dan has been so wonderful and supportive and loving. I really am so grateful to have him as my husband.

In lieu of me feeling cruddy this past week, I need to feel some sunshine. Which is why I need this song, which always makes me happy.

Scatter Sunshine #230

In a world where sorrow
Ever will be known,
Where are found the needy,
And the sad and lone;
How much joy and comfort
You can all bestow,
If you scatter sunshine
Everywhere you go.

Refrain

Scatter sunshine all along your way;
Cheer and bless and brighten
Every passing day;
Scatter sunshine all along your way;
Cheer and bless and brighten
Every passing day.

Slightest actions often
Meet the sorest needs,
For the world wants daily
Little kindly deeds;
Oh, what care and sorrow
You may help remove,
With your songs and courage,
Sympathy and love.

Refrain

When the days are gloomy,
Sing some happy song;
Meet the world’s repining
With a courage strong;
Go with faith undaunted
Thro’ the ills of life;
Scatter smiles and sunshine
O’er its toil and strife.

Refrain

Words: Lanta W. Smith, 1892. Music: Ed­win O. Ex­cell

I think it's so true. Not only do the words inspire you to inspire... but the song itself is an upbeat song and I can't help but smile during the last measure before the repeat when I sing the word "day" from one octave to another... it's just fun.

The topics listed under this song are: cheerfulness, encouragement, love, and service. All things we can never have too much of in our lives. Scatter sunshine everywhere you go! Dan and I have been trying to focus more on service lately. It can be such a powerful thing to those you serve and to the ones who are doing the serving. I feel personally that I have been given so much, I feel so blessed, that I need to give it back in service. President Uchtdorf said: "When we seek to serve others, we are motivated not by selfishness but by charity. This is the way Jesus Christ lived His life... . The Savior did not care for the honors of men; Satan offered Him all the kingdoms and glory of the world, and Jesus rejected the offer immediately and completely. Throughout His life, the Savior must have often felt tired and pressed upon, with scarcely a moment to Himself; yet He always made time for the sick, the sorrowful, and the overlooked."

The Savior is such a wonderful example in countless ways. The Savior is the perfect example of scattering sunshine. I definitely spend more time on myself than I do serving others and I really want to try and turn that around. I know we can only do so much, but I think we can always do a little more. I can't change in one day and be a perfect shining example, but I can take one baby step at a time and grow little by little. I know the Savior loves me and knows my heart. I am so amazed by Him and how well He knows me.


i didn't take this picture, but i found it on a random blog. i love when the sun shines through the clouds like this. it sort of reminds me of this song. yesterday while on the bus driving to camp adair for weapons qualification, i wasn't feeling wonderful and not really wanting to shoot M-16's all day, i looked out the window and saw this. the rest of the drive was beautiful to me and i was in a better mood. when i was a kid... i was in awe whenever i saw the rays of sun coming out of the clouds, it made me think of angels coming down to earth... and i think it always will... however cheesy that may be.

2 comments:

matriarch said...

I enjoyed your post, Courtney. I love that song!! It always lifts my spirits.
Sorry to hear you have been ill. Is your band going to perform in any Veteran's Day activities on Tuesday? Let us know.
Love, Grandma

Mandee said...

I love these tender posts. Very inspirational.