4.06.2011

The Diva Cup

I am going to assume that most of my readers are female. If you are not a female, I suggest you stop reading now. If you are an awesome woman, please please please keep reading, you will probably thank me later. And no, I am not being paid to tell you this (I am not that cool).

Let's talk about our periods. There is something out there that is better than a tampon, and a million times more comfortable than a bulky pad. It is the Diva Cup. I just want to start out by telling you that I honestly, honestly wish I would have found out about these things sooner. Now, you might be thinking to yourself, "wow, that is sooo gross, I could never do that". Let me tell you how not gross it is. When tampons were first introduced it took quite a while before the concept caught on and people thought the same thing. Once you take the time to learn about The Diva Cup, and actually try it for yourself, you will be pleasantly surprised about how clean and not messy it really is. I will be the first to admit that it took me a good 2-3 months/cycles to get used to it... but I did get used to it and now, there is no turning back. I LOVE IT!






The first reason that I decided to try the Diva Cup was environmental. Wow, think of all those pads and tampons that are sitting in landfills, now that is gross. However, after using it and growing to love it... that might be one of the smallest reasons why I love the cup. 


The first reason I love the cup: comfort and cleanliness! With the Diva Cup, odor is not created because the flow is not exposed to air; making me feel super clean and fresh, I didn't know I could feel so clean during my period. Again, I will admit, when i first saw it in person, I was shocked at how big it was, but it is really so comfortable, you cannot even feel it. 


The second reason I love it: you can wear it for longer (up to 12 hours) and not have to worry about it, which is soooo nice. When I first started using it, I was more "paranoid" and took it out more to clean it and such, but I learned that I didn't need to as often. 


The third reason I love it: it doesn't dry you out. You can wear it on your lightest of light days, and you can even put it in before you start your period (say you know you are going to start sometime during the day, but you'll be out and about, stick that sucker in and don't worry about it!). Other reasons I love it: it saves me money and is better for the environment. 


Now you might be thinking, how hard is it to use? I will tell you this: if you can insert a tampon, you can insert a Diva Cup :) It did take some getting used to, but so does a tampon the first time you try it (at least it did for me!). It is also easy to clean, just use hot water and soap (I do use the Diva Wash, but you don't have to). I also boil it after every cycle just to be sure that it is extra clean. 



Here is a video of how to use it (it is NOT graphic):


So, that is my little plug for the Diva Cup. If you have more questions, you can go HERE to get them answered! 

12 comments:

Danielle said...

i do think the concept of these is cool-i remember you talking about them before. definitely something i'd try. :)

Rachel said...

Sounds interesting. I think I might try them. I'm glad you have and could tell me good things about it.

jamie t. said...

Hmmm...maybe I'll give it a try. Do you own more than one? What do you do in public? I couldn't imagine cleaning one out in a church bathroom or something. :)

Courtney B said...

right now I just own one. you don't really need more than one.

New Seasons carries them sometimes and if they don't, they can probably order you one. That is what they did for me, I went to the solutions counter and they special ordered me one and I had to pay NO shipping!

As far as washing it out in a public place, there is virtually no need because you can wear it for up to 12 hours and it does hold A LOT of fluid. Although I had to do it for the first time ever on the drive back from Utah, which was over 12 hours. It was in a private, public bathroom though, so it was fine. Although, the diva cup site does say that if you are in a public restroom you can just dump it out in the toilet, wipe it off with tissue, and reinsert it. But, like I said, there are going to be very, very few times that it would even be necessary.

Darcy Taylor said...

I have one, but I only got to use it for one cycle before getting pregnant, so I feel like I was still in the process of learning how to use it properly. Definitely not a pro with it at this point. It is true that it holds a lot, so you don't really need to change it in public often. I did change it while at work, but I think that was mainly because I was trying to learn how much it held and how often I really did need to change it, and when I did I just dumped and reinserted because I didn't want to wash it in the sink in my workplace. It is seriously worth trying, because it really will save a ton of money over time and it is more comfortable than tampons once you figure out how to put it in properly. Nice for travel because you don't have to pack a bunch of stuff in your purse or pockets.

Kimberly said...

I have heard a ton of good about these. I will definitely be purchasing one when I will need to use one. It just seems so much cleaner, and especially with so many boys in my house I'm sure they'll appreciate a cleaner garbage can :)

Brady and Brittney said...

Ok, this does seem very cool. When I looked on a site to see how much they cost, some come with pantyliners? Why would you need those if it doesn't leak? Are they for when you anticipate it starting?

Fred and Sarah said...

I will be getting one as soon as period returns(I'm nursing a 4 month old right now so who knows when that will be!). I was planning on getting one after my last baby, but I only had a couple of cycles before getting pregnant again.

Verenice said...

I know this is going to sound kind of weird, but I can't believe that cup fits inside there. Sometimes when I see things like this I am amazed by our woman body.

Heather said...

I've been using the Diva Cup for a year now and I will NEVER go back to using tampons or pads. The only issue I have is that I need to use a little lubrication when I instert it sometimes.

But you are right, it is comfortable and I feel so much better about not filling the garbage with feminine products each month.

I got mine at Whole Foods, and I've noticed more and more store are starting to carry it. The New Seasons over by Cedar Hills has it if you don't want to order it.

Thanks for bringing it up! I always feel weird posting about "lady" topics, but it's worth talking about!

Jessica Gottlieb said...

I just clicked over because I saw that you'd embedded my video. I am ALWAYS stunned to find out that anyone other than my mother can find my stuff on the internet.

Also, (for Brady and Brittney) selling them with pads? I guess some people have leaks. I haven't but maybe it's a sense of security when you're making the switch for the first time?

Claire said...

Alright Courtney. I think you might have me convinced! Our budget is a little tight this month (and I have a drawer stocked with other products) but I think I'm going to put this on my shopping list for next month. I'm intrigued!